2019 Lesson Study Summer Institute
Teaching through Problem Solving
8:30 – 3:30, August 5 – 8, 2019
Peirce International Studies Elementary School
1423 W. Bryn Mawr Ave, Chicago
Are you concerned about your students’ ability to understand problems, and their willingness to persevere? Do your students give up or ask for help right away when faced with an unfamiliar problem? You aren’t alone!
Japanese teachers, drawing upon recommendations coming from the U.S., developed a way of teaching mathematics and problem-solving at the same time, called “teaching math through problem solving.” More and more teachers in Chicago and elsewhere are learning this approach and discovering that their students learn more and that math class becomes more fun for everyone. They are also finding that teaching through problem-solving works well in almost all content areas.
In this 4-day workshop, you will learn what teaching through problem solving is. You will collaborate with your colleagues, through a process called Lesson Study, to develop a plan for a teaching-through-problem solving lesson for the coming school year, as your first big step in implementing this exciting way of teaching.
Who should attend
Teams of 3-6 persons comprising any of the following should attend:
- Teachers of mathematics or science for grades K-12. Both grade-level and cross-grade teams are encouraged.
- School-based instructional leaders (with a teacher team)
- Network or district instructional leaders
- Chicago public school teachers: $2000 per team of 3 or 4 persons; $80 per additional person
- Others: $2500 per team of 3-4 persons; $80 per additional person
The cost includes breakfast, lunch, and refreshments during the institute as well as follow-up support (for Chicago area teams) for the research lesson during the school year.
- Dr. Akihiko Takahashi, a 19-year veteran teacher of grades 1-6, professor of mathematics education at DePaul University, and a world-reknown expert in Lesson Study and in mathematics education
- Tom McDougal, Executive Director of Lesson Study Alliance
- Experienced lesson study leaders from Chicago schools
Professional development credit
Professional development credit will be available for Chicago Public School teachers. We may or may not be able to offer p.d. credit for other Illinois teachers.
How to sign up
Teams must submit an application form by June 21, 2019. Click here to download the form.