Fall 2023 IMPULS Lesson Study Immersion Program in Japan
November 7 – 16, 2023
IMPULS LLC at Tokyo Gakugei University and Lesson Study Alliance are pleased to announce that our popular Lesson Study Immersion Program will take place again this fall.
The program offers educators a unique opportunity to immerse themselves in authentic mathematics Lesson Study in Japan. Participants will observe several mathematics lessons developed through Lesson Study in elementary schools and observe how Japanese teachers engage in post-lesson discussions. All research lessons and post-lesson discussions will be simultaneously translated into English by experts in mathematics teaching and learning. In addition, participants will have opportunities to interact with teachers, students, and education professors from schools and universities in Japan.
The cost of the program is 4,000 USD, which includes the cost of accommodations and local transportation during the program. Airfare is not included. See more about what is and is not included below.
Submit questions about the program to Tom@LSAlliance.org.
Apply by September 25
To apply, complete this on-line application, and submit with a non-refundable $50 application fee (pay by credit card here). If your application is accepted (by September 30), the application fee will be applied toward the full tuition.
Expectations of the program
To maximize each participant’s learning for the program, the program asks that each participant contribute by doing the following:
- Actively participate in the entire program schedule and provide reflections and feedback during reflective seminars;
- Submit assignments such as a reflective summary of a research lesson observation;
- Write a reflective journal about mathematics teaching and learning in Japan and about Japanese Lesson Study, due by December 31, 2023, for possible inclusion in our newsletter and on the IMPULS website. (The length of the journal should be about 1000 to 2000 words in English.)
Key dates and payment information
By September 25
- Complete this on-line application form in a new tab.
- Submit a non-refundable application fee of 50 USD by one of the following methods:
By September 30
Receive notification of acceptance to the program.
By October 4
Pay the non-refundable deposit of 450 USD.
- For checks or purchase orders, use the directions above.
- Pay on-line by credit card here. Credit card payments entail an additional 3.5% processing fee.
- For wire transfers, see these wire instructions.
By October 15
- Purchase your air ticket round trip to Tokyo (either NRT or HND) and send us the travel information.
- Pay the balance of the program fee, 3,500 USD. For checks or purchase orders, use the directions above. Otherwise:
What is included in the program fee
- hotel accommodations with breakfast in Tokyo
- hotel lodging with breakfast at other hotels as needed for visits to schools outside Tokyo
- all local transportation during the program
- English translation of lesson plans
- simultaneous translation during lessons and post-lesson discussions by experienced bilingual mathematics educators
- Some dinners, including a welcome reception and a farewell party
Other expenses are not included, such as the following:
- Round-trip airfare to Tokyo
- Local transportation between the airport and the hotel in Tokyo.
- Weekend meals and some weekday meals.
If you are considering bringing a companion…
The program can provide rooms and charter transportation for program participants only. Hotel rates in Japan are typically per person and NOT per room. Therefore, if you will be bringing a companion, you will need to arrange and pay for all hotels and transportation, and this will not reduce the program fee.